Sunday, June 30, 2013

E-Meet

I don't know what I just committed myself to, I really don't. At the end of the day, I always resort to chalking   these things up as an experience. It's all it really is.

A good friend came over the other day and mentioned setting up an online dating profile for me to again, "put myself out there." I had no idea what this really consists of, but agreed to go with it since really let's be honest...my life right now consists of work, work, shop, and more work. So with that reason and that reason only, I agreed to it. I was down. After a couple of glasses of wine, and approximately 10 cookies later I was signed up for not one, but two different dating sites. I am going to stop right here and put in the disclaimer that I was formally approached by said dating site as a "selected member." So for this one I wasn't at all interested in dating per say, but more so interested in this site that seemed like the Silicon Valley edition of either E-Harmony or Match.com. It was interesting, and I wanted to see how its business model differed. After being hand selected to be one of the few to test this elite dating site, I wasn't sure if I felt flattered that I was chosen...or embarrassed that I was single? As if some alien force was telling these entrepreneurs "hey this chick right here is deathly single, hook her up."

After a couple of profile updates and avatar images later, I was all set up and ready to go with this whole new thing: Online Dating. Trust me, I'm definitely the person to pass all the judgement in the world to those who suggest meeting online and the fear of becoming one of those people definitely plagued. However, if you go in with no intention of taking any of this really seriously but just being yourself, and open to the idea - the process isn't really so bad. After all, we're stuck in this age where online is everything - so if a person is cool enough they should be reflective of that in person, right? If not...then bounceeee. My friend began clicking away on the dating site to see if I found anyone attractive. Tell me why I found someone attractive. And tell my why I found someone I thought I could totally be friends with. Am I really falling into the trap? Am I becoming one of  those girls who just creeps hard? Totally not. He just happened to pop up on my suggested matches and he just happened to have a sophisticated, but also cool edge to him. I mean, a guy who reads NY Times as well as Hypebeast? Done. Golden child. Alpha female turned on, and boom I decided to message him. It's a little aggressive but I really couldn't help myself, who cares.

The experience so far has only been a weekend but my Gmail began to flood with site notifications of people who have messaged me. This inadvertently became a confidence booster in a weird way... I don't suggest this route for anyone looking to build confidence, but to be honest it was kind of interesting to watch it all go down. The messages ranged the full gamut of the spectrum - from creepy, to deep (like deeeeeeep for a first time messenger), to friendly, to meh. I'm interested to see where this whole thing goes as I hear in New York these dating sites are a norm.

This one for sure is TBD...

No comments:

Post a Comment